Saturday, April 16, 2022

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 2:12, 16-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Nehemiah 2:12, 16-17
"And I arose in the night, I and some few men with me; neither told I any man what my God had put in my heart to do at Jerusalem: neither was there any beast with me, save the beast that I rode upon.
And the rulers knew not whither I went, or what I did; neither had I as yet told it to the Jews, nor to the priests, nor to the nobles, nor to the rulers, nor to the rest that did the work.
Then said I unto them, Ye see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth waste, and the gates thereof are burned with fire: come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach.

As I read this I thought there was more to Nehemiah's night time journey around the walls of Jerusalem. What was he doing all that night? Then I though of Orson Hyde and when he dedicated Jerusalem October 24, 1841 for the gathering of the Jews and all of Abraham's descendants.

"In October, he landed on the Palestinian coast and proceeded inland to Jerusalem. He wept as he stood at the west gate and beheld the ancient city for the first time.
Before sunrise on Sunday, October 24, Hyde exited the city, crossed the Kidron Valley, and ascended the Mount of Olives. There he offered a prayer dedicating Jerusalem specifically “for the gathering together of Judah’s scattered remnants” and also more broadly as a land of promise for all the scattered children of Abraham.
(Church History Topics, "Dedication of the Holy Land")



Day 2574

No comments:

Post a Comment