Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: James 1:5-6

Today's favorite verse: James 1:5-6
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed."

I was excited to see I was on this chapter today. I don't often remember where scripture verses are located but this one I knew. Even as a little child I loved the story of young Joseph Smith reading this verse in the bible and deciding he would ask God which church to join since he lacked the wisdom to know. This act ushered in the restoration of Christ's church once again upon the earth. 

I sat and pondered on these verses and wondered if I had not know that story would I take anything different from reading it? Then I recalled an experience that happened many years ago when our family was so very poor, and had no insurance. I had never fit this experience in with this verse before.

During high school my husband had a football injury to a front tooth which was repaired by a root canal and cap. After 20 years this tooth was now infected and causing a lot of pain. He had mentioned it on and off, but we had no money to go see a dentist.  On this particular day it was bothering him and he showed me how he could press on the gum and pus came out. I knew this couldn't be ignored any longer. But I simply didn't know how to take care of it without the money to see a dentist. I was a little distraught inside over this emergency but didn't want to say anything to my husband just yet.

I told him I would be right back and I went into my bedroom and as soon as I was alone I started to sob. I threw myself to the side of my bed and started to pray as I was falling to my knees. I simply said "Heavenly Father what am I going to do about William's tooth!" At that moment pure inspiration came, I had an immediate answer to the question I just posted. I was told in my mind that he needed to take a combination of herbs to fight the infection. It was to be a combination of three. I was told how much to take and how often. I was instructed that for one part of the combination I should tell him he could select between two different herbs. But he would pick a particular one. I had all four of these herbs in my home at that very moment. I had no doubt this was inspiration, the instructions were very specific and clear. I had no knowledge of this solution, using items I already possessed in my home.

I walked back into the kitchen where my husband was still standing and told him what had happened. I mentioned he had a choice between two herbs to make up one part of this combination of three. After telling him the options he selected the one I was told he would. That was a witness to me that God really prescribed this cure. My husband started this treatment and the infection cleared up and the tooth simply slipped out all on its own. No pulling, no dentist, the matter was resolved. 

I learned that when you need to know the answer and you take it to the Lord in faith, he will answer. Answers can be yes or no, come instantaneously or be a long time in coming. But, they do come if we simply ask in faith, believing our Heavenly Father's wisdom is greater than our own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment