Sunday, April 30, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 2:9, 11-12

Today's Favorite Verse: Joshua 2:9, 11-12
"And she said unto the men, I know the Lord hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you.
And as soon as we had heard these things our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the Lord your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath.
Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the Lord, since I have shewed you kindness, that you will also shew kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token:"

Joshua sends our two men to secretly spy out the land of Jericho. They enter the city and stay at the house of a harlot named Rahab. Even though she would have been considered a sinner and unbeliever I can see what a good heart she has. I can see how the hand of God prepared Israel's enemies by making their hearts fail them. Yet, Rahab takes a different course she fears their God, which means she believes in their God. She has faith that their God can do all things. I pondered on how the ways of the Lord prepares not only his people, but also our enemies, for whatever purpose they must serve. I love how Rahab saves these men by letting them down the wall with a cord, and they promise to protect her and her family for what she has done for them. I had to jump ahead and read all about Rahab, and where she is also mentioned in the scriptures. I just love her.

"By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace" (Hebrew 11:31)

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and has sent them out another way? (James 2:25)

I pondered on what a perfect example she is of demonstrating your faith by your actions. Even though she may have not yet realized she believed in God, her actions showed that she did. Is that not the way I have to be, show my faith by my works. As I do as the spirit guides me my faith increases. I have no doubt the spirit impressed on Rahab the need to protect and save these men. For doing so she and her family were blessed.


Day 764

No comments:

Post a Comment