Saturday, April 15, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 21:18, 20-21

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 21:18, 20-21
"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice, he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

This chapter had some serious punishment. I think this one topped it all for me. To see parents turn their child over to be stoned to death for being rebellious. I thought how could they do that? I also reflected that it is a good thing we don't practice this today, because there is so little respect for parents or people in authority in our society, there wouldn't be many children left. Then I realized this had something to do with the fifth command to honor our father and mother. This commandment has not been done a way with. There is implication today for me in this. Then the story of the prodigal son came to my mind. I sat and read it and then watched "The Prodigal Son" video in the "The Life of Jesus Christ Bible Videos" by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The part of the son coming to himself and returning home touched my heart.

"And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." (Luke 15:20)

I understood now why that father had compassion and ran to his son, while he was a great ways off. If he hadn't done that the elders of the city could have stoned him to death. For he was a glutton and a drunkard with his riotous living, and had not honored his mother and father. Under the mosaic law he was worthy of death.

So I reflected on this act of stoning, and turning the child over to the elders of the church. I felt impressed to look at the elders of the church as representing Christ. I have experienced turning a rebellious child over to the Lord, and this fits.  Though my child may have spiritual died, I needed to turn them over to the Lord for his keeping. I have left them in his hands to do as he see's fit. He knows what they must past through in order to "come to themselves".  For I know they will have no desire to see me until they have been made clean. Then I can run to them and throw our arms around them and kiss them, and rejoice. Until that day the Lord has sustained and carried me, and replaced my sorrow with peace in this matter.


Day 749

No comments:

Post a Comment