Sunday, April 9, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 15:11

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 15:11
"For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land."

This is a subject that has touched my heart of late. I searched the scriptures for all the references of the poor and read them. I paused at the story in Luke 16 of a certain rich man.

"And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full or sores,
And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores."

It goes on to tell that the beggar dies and is carried by angels into the bosom of Abraham. The rich man dies and goes to hell. I thought about how this rich man did more than some people around me would do. He let the beggar sit outside his gate. In my local news, no one wants a homeless shelter anywhere near their neighborhoods, much less sitting outside their house. I pondered on where would such behavior leave us?

The poor will always be among us. There has to be a reason for that. I think there are lessons for both of us to learn. One thing I could see in my searching is there is no excuse for not helping them. As I sat and reflected on what I could do, I realized today is Fast Sunday, being more generous with my fast offering is a start.


Day 743

No comments:

Post a Comment