Monday, April 17, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 23:24-25

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 23:24-25
"When thou comest into thy neighbour's vineyard, then thou mayest eat grapes thy fill at thine own pleasure; but thou shalt not put any in thy vessel.
When thou comest into the standing corn of thy neighbour, then thou mayest pluck the ears with thine hand; but thou shalt not move a sickle unto thy neighbour's standing corn."

Ah! I found it! In the New Testament in Matthew, Mark and Luke I read the same story that has always puzzled me.

"At the time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples where an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat." (Matthew 12:1)

The Pharisees saw this and said they were doing what wasn't lawful on the sabbath day. The implication being they weren't suppose to be picking corn on the sabbath. I always wondered why wasn't this considered stealing corn, regardless of it being the sabbath day?  Now I find the law. It was ok to go into a field or vineyard and eat your fill when you were hungry. Stealing would be picking it and storing it up for yourself. I knew Jesus and the apostle wouldn't steal, knowing the law helps me understand the custom and scriptures better.


Day 751

No comments:

Post a Comment