Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 25:5-6

Today's Favorite Verse: Deuteronomy 25:5-6
"If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.
And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel."

This made me think of the story in the New Testament when the Sadducees question Jesus on who of seven brothers would have the first dead brothers wife in the resurrection, if all in turn married her and none of them raised up seed for him. Christ answered that they erred because they knew not the scriptures or the power of God. When they rise from the dead they neither marry or are given in marriage but are angels which are in heaven. The real question for the Sadducees is they didn't believe in a resurrection, angels or spirits. They did not believe in immortality and it's so telling that this is the very question they ask Christ, seeing that they didn't believe in it in the first place. This made me ponder on how those that don't believe in God can question my faith or beliefs, wanting answers on strange things, yet the true question they have is totally something else.

When my daughter was apostatizing from the church she told me she had binders full of questions. I knew all she had done was gone out to the internet and found every anti-mormon question out there that could be found. They were not even her questions. They were traps like the Sadducees tried to do to Christ. I said bring me those binders and let me look at them. I will try to answer them for you. I really didn't want to see them, but I knew that the questions weren't really the issue. But, from reading them I would know what very basic question of the gospel was really the root of the issue. Its like studying a tower of sticks and knowing that pulling just one it would make the whole tower collapse. Sadly for her she never brought me the binders full of questions. I think she knew deep down inside she didn't want to get the answers because the questions wasn't the church it was her. For myself I am glad I didn't have to read Satan's inspired writings that would have only sought to darken my mind. Though I do wish I knew what basic principle of the gospel really was the root of her issue. I think that is why I feel so driven to go very, very basic in the gospel for this is the foundation that needs to be strengthened and made firm and sure, that no tower of sticks can come tumbling down.


Day 753

No comments:

Post a Comment