Thursday, July 28, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 69:1

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 69:1
"Hearken unto me, saith the Lord your God, for my servant Oliver Cowdery's sake. It is not wisdom in me that he should be entrusted with the commandments and the moneys which he shall carry unto the Land of Zion, except one go with him who will be true and faithful."

I wish I had more background on this chapter. I wasn't sure where to find it. I was new to the Joseph Smith Papers website so I didn't find anything more there. So I just sat and pondered on this, which is probably the better thing to do.

It doesn't sound like Oliver Cowdery couldn't be trusted and that is why the Lord is saying this. He is saying this for Oliver's sake. I wonder if there was concern that Oliver would be robbed of what he was entrusted with if he took this journey alone? That he needed to be in the company of another for his safety. That the person selected needed to be one also trustworthy or true and faithful. The Lord names John Whitmer to go with him. 

What this made me think of is how the Church councils us to go in pairs. It is for our safety and protection. It is also to have a second witness. I went visiting teaching yesterday and my companion was able to go with me. Her husband has been ill, so I had gone alone earlier. It was really nice to go with a companion and not by myself. I had no fear of visiting my sisters, that just live in my neighborhood all by myself, especially in the middle of the day. But seeing the times we live in I shouldn't even take that for granted. It is always better to have a witness, it really does help to make sure you are speaking of gospel truths and not going off on a tangent yourself.


Day 488

No comments:

Post a Comment