Friday, July 15, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 56:16-18

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 56:16-18
"Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor, for your riches will canker your souls; and this shall be your lamentation in the day of visitation, and of judgment, and of indignation: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!
Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are not stayed from laying hold upon other men's goods, whose eyes are full of greediness, and who will not labor with your own hands!
But blessed are the poor who are pure in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the earth shall be theirs."

All I could think of when I read this is the poor man's love of money. I remembered how shocked I was to realize this was my sin. My heart pains now to hear poor people complain about the rich. Do they not realize they are guilty of the poor man's love of money by so doing? I cannot judge a man by his material possessions. I have no idea how much he gives to the poor in secret. Just because a man is poor gives no indication of their greediness. Only the Lord knows a man's heart and where it lies. Both the poor man and the rich man need a broken and contrite heart to enter the kingdom of God.


Day 475

No comments:

Post a Comment