Thursday, August 13, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: James 3:2

Today's favorite verse: James 3:2
"For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

James continues on to explain how a bit in the horse's mouth can control it and the small helm controls the ship, likewise the little tongue can boast great things and kindle a big fire.

It's interesting to me today to read this chapter about controlling our tongues. I was visiting teaching earlier today and my sister expressed this as her greatest trial right now. I to have been learning to control my tongue. I am finding the more I work at holding my tongue the more the spirit is teaching me.

The biggest thing I have learned about holding my tongue is to not be offended in the first place. As I began this journey pictures of Christ while he was being accused at trial, and stood and said nothing in his defense would flash into my head. I knew he knew my pain at having to say nothing. As I thought of Christ I found so many things I had trouble controlling my tongue over really didn't matter. I had to let go and give others the agency to fail. I had to let go of perfection in the way things were done. I had to see the beauty in others offerings. I had to forgive. I had to learn to love regardless.

This is a hard journey. No wonder this verse says that to offend not in word is a perfect man. I will never be perfect. But if I keep Christ close to me I can be perfect in him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment