Monday, August 10, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Hebrews 13:2

Today's favorite verse: Hebrews 13:2
"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

This verse made me think of several experiences in my life when I wasn't quite sure about the person I just met. I have heard this verse many times and am very aware that angels can walk amongst us without our being aware of their true natures. 

About a month ago one of my children was going through a hard struggle and my heart was heavy for them. Since I was at the temple alone that day I decided to just spend extra time after the endowment session in the celestial room. I had cried a little but nothing that drew attention to myself, other than wiping my eyes and nose. I happened to look up and noticed that the room was pretty empty. There was myself, a sister at the door, and two younger women. They looked about the age of sister missionaries. As I looked up one of them came over and said "I just wanted to tell you that your beautiful." Then she hugged me. Awkward but I accepted her compliment and told her she was beautiful too. She really was. Her companion stood behind her pleasantly smiling at me. Then they left. I sat there for a few minutes thinking it a random and rather odd but still sweet interaction.

Then I remembered a recent conference talk that told a similar story of how a man felt impressed to go speak to someone in the celestial room and later found out how he could help him. I wondered if this young women had also heard that talk and had been looking for a similar experience. Being the last in the room it would be pretty obvious that I had something on my mind. So then I had all these thoughts was she a real person or not. I knew you could entertain angels unaware. Then it occurred me to regardless of any motive there was a message for me. With that I received inspiration and was able to understand then why those particular words were spoken. The thought also came to me that the sister outside the celestial room door near the elevator would have seen these young women if they were real. My heart was pounding as I walked out the door I approached the sister and asked if she happened to see which way two young sisters went. She pointed down the stairs, which would lead to the dressing room. In a way I was actually a little sad that she saw them, because they were real. I would love to have see an angel that no one else saw.

As I walked into the dressing room I saw the sister that hugged me and we just smiled in passing. Ok, probably not an angel, but I can't tell you how often I keep thinking on this experience and the timing of it. I have had many thoughts upon the matter. I have come to realize that sometimes regardless of the person's motive God can give us a message. We can be angels to others as well as they are to us. If I am trying to live by the spirit then I should live my life in such a way that regardless of how awkward a situation might be, I need to do as the spirit directs. Should I not be like that young women that made me pause and wonder if she was an angel or not. Having the characteristic of an angel would not be a bad thing. Someday all will be revealed and I will know if I entertained angels unaware. I think the most surprising thing will be who was on the receiving and the giving end. 


No comments:

Post a Comment