Monday, August 17, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Peter 2:13

Today's favorite verse: 1 Peter 2:13
"Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;"

Reading this chapter and verse immediately made me think of our 12th Article of Faith: We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

For the second morning in a row I have woken up thinking about our coming presidential elections. I have a trouble in my heart over several people and one in particular. This morning I lay in bed thinking about what could happen if this person did become our president. How could I follow someone I felt deceptive or might call me to act in a way contrary to my beliefs?

The story in Daniel of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego came to mind. I read it over again and realized something for the first time. King Nebuchadnezzar had commanded all the people to worship his god. When all kinds of music played they were to bow down to a golden image. If the people did not bow down to worship they would be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego would not bow down and worship the King's god and golden image. I realize they didn't run, they didn't fight, they simply decided to chose the other option, to be cast into the furnace.

I can see now that any of man's law I do not believe in, I can calmly decide to chose the other option. This might not be the best example, but when I decide to speed in my car, I chose to pay my speeding fine as my option. I am obeying and honoring the law of the land by selecting its penalty. What happened to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego when they paid their price? The fire had no effect, a fourth person stood in the midst of the fire with them, an angel like the Son of God. After this miraculous event King Nebuchaadnezzar made a decree that no one was to speak amiss about the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.

So what have I learned? There is harmony and consistency in the scriptures. I have to ponder on the stories to understand them. I used to wondered how God could command me to obey and honor the laws of the land, being subject to others, when those laws might require me to act contrary to His commands. I now see I can select the other option, the penalty of the law. When we do as God commands and honor and obey the laws of the land we will have his protection. 


No comments:

Post a Comment