Sunday, September 1, 2024

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 26:31

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 26:31
"And ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor’s trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation."

This reminded me of a comment I had read on an article. The person was saying that we are only to forgive those that ask for forgiveness or repent. They said that is what the scriptures say. That made me curious, because that is not what I knew, for the Lord tells us to forgive everyone. These are two scriptures that come to mind.

"For, if ye forgive men their trespasses your heavenly Father will also forgive you;
But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
(Matthew 6:14-15; 3 Nephi 13:14-15)

"Wherefore I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men" 
(Doctrine and Covenants 64:9-10)

Elder Cook also explains it well.
"When we are truly humble, we pray for forgiveness and forgive others. As we read in Mosiah, Alma taught that as often as we repent, the Lord will forgive our trespasses. On the other hand, as indicated in the Lord’s Prayer, when we do not forgive others’ trespasses, we bring ourselves under condemnation. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, through repentance our sins are forgiven. When we do not forgive those who trespass against us, we are in effect rejecting the Savior’s Atonement. Holding a grudge and refusing to forgive and refusing to humbly approach our relationships in a Christlike manner truly brings us under condemnation. Holding a grudge is poisonous to our souls"
(Quentin L. Cook, "The Eternal Everyday", Oct 2017 General Conference)

I asked the person that made the comment what scripture they were referring to? They could not tell me, only that they knew it was in there. When I read this verse in Mosiah I wondered if this is what gave them that idea?

The difference I see in this mention of "when he says that he repents", is because the Lord was talking to Alma. He was discussing those that had dissented from the church, and leading others astray. In that case Alma, being called as a judge in Israel, would decide who of the dissenters would remain in the church or removed from its records. The Lord is telling Alma that if they have repented, but were not forgiven and still removed, then the one not forgiving them would be condemned.

It is further clarified on the next verse.
"Now I say unto you, Go; and whosoever will not repent of his sins the same shall not be numbered among my people; and this shall be observed from this time forward."
(Mosiah 26:32)


Day 3441

No comments:

Post a Comment