Sunday, May 22, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 2:1-3

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 2:1-3
"Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers.
If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming."

On the evening of September 21, 1823 the angel Moroni appeared at the bedside of a then 17 year old Joseph Smith. This is part of the message he was given. It differs some from the promise in Malachi 4:5-6. This prophecy was fulfilled, in that Elijah did come and restore the Priesthood keys of sealing, the power to bind and validate in the heavens all ordinances performed on the earth. These blessings are available for the living and vicariously for the dead. This event happened in the Kirtland Temple on April 3, 1836.

I know this is an often quoted verse for doing family history work. Something so very dear to my heart. Last night I got caught up in it and didn't go to bed until 2:30 this the morning. I could have spent the whole night researching, I had no need to sleep when I stopped. I only did so because I knew I must in order to not fall asleep in church today. It's interesting how the mind can come so alive at night to make family connections. I can understand how Moroni came to Joseph Smith and spend the whole of the night speaking to him of such things.
 
As I ponder the turning of hearts I cannot help but also think about our priesthood fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, even father Adam. If our hearts are not turned to the promises made to them, at the great and dreadful day of the Lord, then the earth would be utterly wasted. I can spend all my days working on family history and have it mean absolutely nothing to me in the end, if my heart is not turned to the Lord. The great work of family history has an end goal of getting me into the temple to do those saving ordinances for my kindred dead. It is there that I will learn of the great priesthood blessings and understand where my heart needs to be turned. 


Day 421

No comments:

Post a Comment