Sunday, December 20, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 22:3-4

Today's Favorite Verse: Mosiah 22:3-4
"Now it came to pass that Gideon went forth and stood before the king, and said unto him: Now O king, thou hast hitherto hearkened unto my words many times when we have been contending with our brethren, the Lamanites.
And now O king, if thou has not found me to be an unprofitable servant, or it thou has hitherto listened to my words in any degree, and they have been of service to thee, even so I desire that thou wouldst listen to my words at this time, and I will be thy servant and deliver this people out of bondage."

Tonight I pondered on Gideon. In this chapter once again he shows wisdom. He can see things that others do not. Just like it was him to figure out the king Noah's priest stole the Lamanite daughters. Now he sees away for all the people to escape undetected and flee to Zarahemla. I know he was an inspired and righteous man. He was first mentioned after king Noah killed Abinadi and Alma had fled. The kings sent men after Alma and his people to destroy them. That is where we see Gideon fight king Noah and try to slay him. I could not help but wonder why Gideon did not leave with Alma's group? He appears to be a righteous man so I would think he would have wanted to be with them.

Was he willing to sacrifice his life, by taking on the king, so Alma and the saints could escape? That is something I could see Gideon doing. Whatever the reason, it seems the Lord needed Gideon to stay behind. If it wasn't for Gideon actions there are several times all the people could have been destroyed. It is only through inspiration that his mind is quickened by the Lord, enabling him to see a plan no one else could see, allowing all the people to escape. If the Lord had not left Gideon where he was, all of king Limhi's people would have eventually been destroyed by the Lamanites. 

As I ponder on Gideon I don't ever recall it being mentioned that his inspiration and wisdom came from the Lord. But, I know that had to be the source for him to see what others could not. I can only look at my own life and how Gideon ideas have come to me. I'm not a brilliant person, but stroke of ideas and impressions have come that I know could have only come from the Lord, and not due to any intelligence on my part. Gideon shows in this verse he is a humble man and not prideful. If he was prideful about his wisdom and knowledge he would be looking for power and not asking to be a servant to the king. As amazing as Gideon is I think anyone that humbles themselves before the Lord and seeks to do his will, can have Gideon ideas come to them when its needful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment