Saturday, November 21, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 4:8

Today's Favorite Verse: Jacob 4:8
"Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways. And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God."

This verse reminded me of discussion we had in family scripture reading the other day. How you can receive personal revelation,  understanding some gospel principle on a new and deeper level, and then when you want to share it, its the same words everyone has used before. Yet, you understand it differently. There is a lot of repetition in the scriptures its up to us to discover what they mean.

I have heard people say, and I used to too, that the temple endowment was boring. You heard the same thing over and over and it would put you to sleep. It wasn't until I started going to the temple every week with reading the scriptures daily, that my understanding and experience changed. I needed to hear the endowment over and over until I knew it by heart, before the spirit could speak to me. There is an entire question and answer session that instructs you on a whole different level. I will never understand it all and that really is the exciting part. You know its not just the words you are hearing, its what they mean that is revealed to you. It really is a humbling experience to receive such a gift. It keeps me coming back for more.

The scriptures are the same way. The more I read the scriptures the more I begin to understand. The stories are interconnected. It is only when I read them over and over that I start to build that highway of understanding. I had to lay a foundation with the words before I could smooth out the surface and move from place to place. Then when I understand something on a different level I find myself back to saying the same words everyone else says. It's such a personal journey and its one I'm so happy I am traveling on. I love reading the scriptures and that love only grows deeper the more that I read them. I love how they speak to me individually. They also act like a touch stone on how i am doing spiritually. When they stop speaking to me I know things are not right in my life. They are my compass and guide leading me back to Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment