Thursday, September 3, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Revelations 3:8, 20

Today's favorite verse: Revelations 3:8, 20
"I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name."
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man, hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

This has got to be the most beautiful chapter I have ever read in all the scriptures. It is almost like music I have no words to describe it. It sings to you. There is passion and love and calling out to us. I just wept the whole time. The imagery is all of the temple, it is the only way to understand it. It means things I cannot say. You need the music to understand the words.

What I am struck with in this verse is we do not hear the Lord's voice until we have heard him knocking. What is the first thing I do when someone knocks on my door? Inside my head I ask myself "I wonder who is there?" I have a desire to know who's on that other side of the door. With that desire to know I will have no answer unless I take physical action to get up and answer that door. I could call out "Who's there?" but not seeing who it is I never know if its really them. If I knew their voice from prior experience I might identify them. There is a lot of preparation on my side of the door before I can even answer that knock. It isn't until I open the door that I have full knowledge of who knocked. With full knowledge I recognize the Savior and will let him enter. Once he is there no man has power to take from me what he gives me. The door will never be shut, unless I deny him. 

Why is this one of the first chapters of Revelations, telling us of the ends times? It's because we that are to survive them must have no doubt of who the Lord is. We will not get by on borrowed light. I alone must know the master I serve and am waiting for.


No comments:

Post a Comment