Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: Book of Mormon: Title Page & Witnesses

Today's favorite verse: Book of Mormon: Title Page & Witnesses
The Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith
On the evening of the twenty-first of September [1823] I betook myself to prayer and supplication to Almighty God.
While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor.
He called me by name, and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me, and that his name was Moroni; that God had a work for me to do; and that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people.
He said there was a book deposited, written upon gold plates, giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the fulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants;"

I cannot start reading the Book of Mormon without first reading the Title Page, Introduction, Testimony of Three Witnesses, Testimony of Eight Witnesses, Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and Brief Explanations. This reminds me of the source of this ancient scripture and how the heavens were open again in our day. Not only did Joseph Smith translate these golden plates but others witnessed the reality of these plates. Three special witnesses saw the angel Moroni along with the gold plates. Eight others held them and turned their pages and saw the ancient characters on their pages. All together 12 men testify of its reality.  I love seeing that Joseph was not alone in his testimony of where the Book of Mormon came from. 

The Holy Bible also holds references to this ancient group of people and the record that would come from them. In the New Testament (John 10:16) Christ said  "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." The Jews knew not of whom he spoke. With the coming forth of the Book of Mormon we now know Christ was speaking of those on the American continent. The Book of Mormon is their record of holy scriptures. After Christ's resurrection and appearing to those ancient inhabitants on the American continent he says again he has other sheep he must go to. So they are not alone is seeing the risen Christ, though we know not who they are.

The coming forth of this set of scriptures was prophesied in the Old Testament in Ezekiel 37:16, 19 "Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
Say unto them, Thus saidth the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand."

The Holy Bible is from the tribe of Judah and I love it with all my heart. The Book of Mormon is from the tribe of Ephraim, son of Joseph, together these two books are joined into my heart. It is a record of literal descendants of the tribe of Ephraim led out of Jerusalem in 600 BC before its destruction. They were led to the American continent and it is a record of their prophets and history of their descendants. In its pages we see that God is the same yesterday, today and forever. It truly is a second testament of Jesus Christ.

As I have read the Book of Mormon I have grown to have a greater testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ, His gospel, and the Prophet Joseph Smith. To read it is to know it comes from God. An ordinary, much less an uneducated man, could never write such beautiful scripture, that also goes in harmony with all the scriptures in the Old and New Testaments. You can cross reference them and they become one in your hand. What joy it gives me to see harmony and consistency in the gospel. It helps me understand the Plan of Salvation and how I can live again with my Father in Heaven. The Book of Mormon brings me closer to God.

If you wish to read the Book of Mormon I would be happy to send you a copy of the book, along with my personal testimony in it. Private message me or make a comment on my blog with your contact information to request a copy. I won't publish that information. You can also read the Book of Mormon online at: scriptures.lds.org   

No comments:

Post a Comment