Sunday, September 27, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 4:6

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 4:6
"And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."

Though my experience is nothing like Nephi's, just this morning I had a tiny scenario with this matter. I'm known as the root beer lady by the children at church. Its one of my small pleasures in life. Earlier this week I asked my husband to purchase some root beer barrels and smarties for the children. The smarties are for the little babies that can't have hard candy.

As I was getting ready for church I discovered I had no more smarties for the little babies. I had ask my husband to buy both types of candy and even asked if he had both when he came home from the store. He confirmed that he did, then he put the candy away so I didn't see it until this morning. As I went to get the candy there were no more smarties. For some reason he didn't hear me ask for them or confirm that he got them. He heard the part about the root beer barrels just fine. Odd, but I think I know why it was a test for me.

Upon learning I had nothing for the babies I was heart sick. I could see the little toddlers running up to me for candy and having to turn them away. They wouldn't understand. I so hated to disappoint them. I sat on my bed wondering if this justified an ox in the mire situation and good enough reason to break the sabbath and run to the grocery store. I seriously considered it. But, I couldn't break my heart too over the matter, I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. I vowed I wouldn't break the sabbath. So I got up and began walking out towards the kitchen, all the while I'm thinking "What do I have in this house that I can give these babies?" Then just a single word came into my mind "Stickers". Up until that moment stickers were the furthest though from my mind. I knew that was pure inspiration from the spirit. Little children do like stickers. It made me think of when I was little and the pleasure it gave me to have a star placed on my forehead.

Now the problem was were are the stickers. I saw some a few years ago, were did I put them? I looked in a couple of spots in my computer room, nothing. I said a little prayer and the exact spot that they were came to my mind. I found all the stickers and sat down to cut them up into little sets to handout. I cannot explain to you the joy I felt because I now had something to give these little babies. Sadly, I had no little stars, but I was content. 

By that time my husband had finished his shower and I told him of what had transpired and the solution for no candy for the babies. I just had to testify of how marvelous the spirit works and could solve such a trouble to my heart. I then walked back to my computer room and spotted something on the floor under my desk. I scooped down to pick it up and there was a little tiny package of stars. This might mean nothing to anyone else, but I knew someone was blessing me. They knew how much I loved the little children in my ward. They are His children too.




I have no doubt the spirit will led and guide us in all matters of our life, no matter how small it may seem to be. As we strive to do what is right the way will open up to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment