Friday, September 25, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 2:11-12

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 2:11-12
"Now this he spake because of the stiffneckedness of Laman and Lemuel; for behold they did murmur in many things against their father, because he was a visionary man, and had led them out of the land of Jerusalem, to leave the land of their inheritance, and their gold, and their silver, and their precious things, to perish in the wilderness. And this they said he had done because of the foolish imaginations of his heart.
And thus Laman and Lemuel, being the eldest, did murmur against their father. And they did murmur because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them."

Last night I was listening to someone that troubled my soul. All night I tossed and turned wishing I knew what to say to them, trying to put my finger on the issue. This morning I see the answer is in the scriptures.

We cannot setup a time table or way that our prophets and leaders need to respond in situations. Our definition of how things should run is not always in keeping with what the Lord knows is best. Yes, terrible things happen around us, but we should not take that as our leaders being misguided or uninformed. Even the prophet Alma and Amulek had to stand and watch women and children be cast into the fire and consumed, because of their faith. Even though they had the power to stretch forth their hands and save them, the Lord constrained them not to.

The Lords ways are not always our ways. When I wonder and question why I know its time for me to turn to the Lord. In this chapter I see Nephi does that very thing. As he sees his brothers murmur he turns to the Lord. As they are going on one path he is headed onto another. This is the very thing we need to do when we question or doubt, or just simply want to know what is our role. How do we serve the Lord and remain faithful. I have found the path is always open to us, even if hard things are required along the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment