Sunday, October 29, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Chronicles 4:7

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Chronicles 4:7
"And he made ten candlesticks of gold according to their form, and set them in the temple, five on the right hand, and five on the left."

Every time I see the mention of candlesticks in the temple I think of the mention of them in Revelations. I'm not sure of the connection completely. I decided to read every reference to candlesticks in the scriptures. The whole time I read I kept picturing myself walking into the celestial room of the temple in the early morning hours, when it's still dark outside. My eyes are drawn to an end table with a small lamp burning. The glow of the lamp fills my heart and in my mind I hear the song  "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy".

Then I found this verse about candlesticks.

"And thou shalt set the table without the veil, and the candlestick over against the table on the side of the tabernacle toward the south: and thou shalt put the table on the north side."
(Exodus 26:35)

Amazingly, that is exactly where this lamp I am drawn to sits in the temple.

Then I found this verse about candlesticks.

"No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light."
(Luke 11:33)

I sat and pondered on what that all means to me. Christ is the light. Candlesticks hold up the light of Christ. That light should not be hide under a bushel, but be beams that light the way back to Him. The prophets act as candlesticks to me, they hold up the light of Christ. I also must follow their example and hold up the light of Christ for others. I cannot bury it under a bushel, or hide it in a secret place. True followers of Christ are his candlesticks. Those candlesticks can come in many shapes and sizes. I think I am one of many lower lights that must keep burning, to help others to the shore.

I love this quote from the story about the song "Brightly Beams Our Fathers Mercy".

"The master will take care of the great lighthouse, but he depends on us to keep the lower lights burning."


Brightly Beams Our Fathers Mercy

Brightly beams our Father’s mercy
From his lighthouse evermore,
But to us he gives the keeping
Of the lights along the shore.

Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.

Dark the night of sin has settled;
Loud the angry billows roar.
Eager eyes are watching, longing,
For the lights along the shore.

Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.

Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor,
In the darkness may be lost.

Let the lower lights be burning;
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
You may rescue, you may save.


Day 946

No comments:

Post a Comment