Monday, October 23, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 27:23-24

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 27:23-24
"But David took not the number of them from twenty years old and under: because the Lord had said he would increase Israel like to the stars of the heavens.
Joab the son of Zeruiah began to number, but he finished not, because there fell wrath for it against Israel; neither was the number put in the account of the chronicles of king David."

This made me sit and think about keeping track of temple ordinances. Some things I count and other things I don't. I have been doing genealogy work for a man for a number of years. I am going through all his books and papers to make sure everyone in his research has had their temple work done. In my report I keep a running total of all the names I have submitted. Simply because its important to him. He once told me he wanted to live to reach 20,000. We are at 19,365 and he's 88 years old and not doing to well. I think he will live to see his 20,000 names submitted.

As I've done this work for him it has made me think about the number of names I have submitted over the years. I have no clue. All I know is my patriarchal blessing says "that through you a greater portion of their work will be performed in the Temples of the Lord." In my near-death experience I saw all of these people and could not see the end of them. At times I am tempted to track them, but I don't feel right about doing that. I can understand how David or Joab would be curious to know a count, but how its better not to.

On the other hand I have felt impressed to keep a log of all the people I personally perform temple ordinances for. It motivates me to try to do a little better each year than I did the previous year. I can see how slow and steady, one drop at a time, much work is being accomplished.


Day 940

No comments:

Post a Comment