Friday, October 27, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Chronicles 2:4

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Chronicles 2:4
"Behold, I build an house to the name of the Lord my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the Lord our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel."

I sat and pondered on the word "This is an ordinance for ever to Israel". The temple today is not the temple of yesterday. There is no sweet incense, shewbread or burnt offerings. I don't celebrate the solemn feasts they had back then. Why is that?  Then I read in Matthew 12 where Jesus and his apostles plucked and ate corn on the Sabbath day, which was not lawful to do. He reminded them of when David ate the shrewbread. Then in verses 6-8.

"But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day."

So what did all these things of the temple in the Mosaic Law point to?  It was Christ, his ultimate eternal sacrifice. In the house of the Lord I make sacred covenants through his ordinances. On the Sabbath Day I renew these covenants through the ordinance of the sacrament. All things point to Christ and covenants I have made to him, through sacred ordinances. I cannot go back and practice the law of Moses, for it is a dead law. It was fulfilled in Christ, and he lives. To do so would deny the Christ and his atonement.

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"
(Hebrews 9:14)

We live a higher law now. Nothing really changed, for all of it was to worship Him. I make and keep sacred covenants through the ordinances which point to Him. It is His ordinances that stretch into the eternities forever.


Day 944


No comments:

Post a Comment