Saturday, October 21, 2017

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 25:1, 5

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Chronicles 25:1, 5
"Moreover David and the captains of the host separated to the service of the sons of Asaph, and of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who should prophesy with harps, with psalteries, and with cymbals: and the number of the workmen according to their service was:
All these were sons of Heman the king's seer in the words of God, to lift up the horn. And God gave to Heman fourteen sons and three daughters."

I had never thought about a musician prophesying until now. When I think about the Psalms of David there was prophesy in them. How many times have the words of a hymn been like a seer, opening up the visions of eternity to me. The one song that came immediately to my mind was "O My Father" written by the Eliza R. Snow, "Zion's Poetess". I can understand more so why Brigham Young called her a "Priestess, Prophetess, and Presidentess" of the church. As I sat and listened to this hymn I felt like I was in the presence of angels.


I reflected on my earliest memory of a hymn, hearing the Joseph Smith story told in "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" by George Manwaring.  As a small child it pierced my heart and I knew that story was true. I didn't have to be there to see it. The hymn takes me there.



Oh how my heart loves the hymns. They are a prayer unto God. It has been God's way of opening up his teachings to me.


Day 938

No comments:

Post a Comment