Friday, October 23, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 8:7

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 8:7
"Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart I have written my law, fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings."

I love those words "whose heart I have written my law". I pondered on how God knows my heart and that is how I am judged. I can go through all the actions I want to "look good", but if my heart is rotten, and only seeks the praises of man then I have every right to be afraid, very afraid of the Lord. I can never deceive him, when he sees my heart.

This made me think of the time I went to a bar because that is where a co-worker's surprise bridal shower was going to be. I loved her and wanted to bring my gift. I had no fear of anyone seeing me there. My co-workers knew where my heart was. I was never made fun of or forced to drink. I also didn't stay the whole time either, it simply was not my environment. I focused on my friend and was able to wish her well, be pleasant to my other co-workers, then left as soon as they all started to get drunk.  

I don't know why this verse made me think about that experience. I certainly didn't like going to a bar and wouldn't want to go again. But, I also have no fear of those that act differently than me either. I can be in the world and not part of it. I can have God's law in my heart and honor him, but be kind to those who mock it or believe differently. I'm ok if I'm the only one in the room that loves my God. 

I think when God's law is in your heart and not in your head, you don't worry about what other people have going on in their heads. 


No comments:

Post a Comment