Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 6:17

Today's Favorite Verse: 2 Nephi 6:17
"But thus saith the Lord: Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; for the Mighty God shall deliver his covenant people. For thus saith the Lord: I will contend with them that contendeth with thee-"

I pondered on that last part of this verse "I will contend with them that contendeth with thee". After hearing Elder Oaks talk given the other day, it reinforced that I should not be contending with others. I see now the Lord says he will contend with them instead. He doesn't say when or how, just he will do it. There appears to be no role for me in contending with others. This would go hand in hand with being told not to judge. The role of judgment and justice is the Lord's. He will give people enough time to repent and ask for forgiveness. If the Lord is going to contend with those bothering me, then I have to leave the matter in his hands. Forgiving would be my role.

It made me think of Satan and how he wanted to take away the agency of man. When I contend and want to force a person to my way of thinking, then I would also be guilty of taking away a man's agency. Satan also took away God's right to offer the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to Adam and Eve on his time table. Satan caused havoc with his interference. So I am thinking now that contending is a role the Savior has. If I take it out of his hands then I would be guilty of not only taking free agency from another man, but also God. I would not want to take over a role that Lord has a right to. I have no business in judging others. When I have a window open to express a vote for or against a matter I will do so, but to another man I will leave his opinions to himself. 

We happened to discuss Elder Oaks talk this evening in family scripture study. My son asked me what I would say to people that I disagree with. I told him I have learned to say "You can believe what you want to believe." Then I simply move on, it's not of my concern what they believe. Even if its false things against me. The only opinion that matters to me is the Lord, and he will judge me on my heart. People that want to butt heads rarely change their minds. If I give people an option to hear what I have to say, then those really wanting to know will inquire. Otherwise, my life is peaceful just moving on, because the spirit will remain with me. Now I feel a stronger confirmation that contending is the Lord's right and not mine. I just don't ever want to be on that receiving end.

No comments:

Post a Comment