Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 21:6

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 21:6
"And he said: It is a light thing that thou shouldst be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel. I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the ends of the earth."

Nephi is quoting Isaiah 49. I know Nephi was likening the scriptures unto himself. So I tried really hard to understand how Nephi saw this chapter as speaking about themselves. I could actually see it. Nephi and his family are now on the American continent, separated from the rest of Israel. As Isaiah speaks to those on the isles I know Nephi was thinking of themselves, sent there to be preserved. I'm sure he was seeing connections to the scenes the angel opened up to him earlier, the future events to come. The restoration of the gospel in the latter-days. 

Next what I tried to do is picture how this chapter was meant for me. Then I saw how even I fit in. As Nephi sees his writing as being a light to the Gentiles, he means a light to me. This is what he has given me by keeping his record. What a light it has been for me to understand the gospel. In turn I am trying to follow his example and share my thoughts about the scriptures with others. So few read my words, but this wasn't only meant for me alone to do. Each time a testimony is shared about the Book of Mormon it brings the words of Christ as a light to the world. That is why we all need to liken these words to ourselves. It's a message for each one of us and for those we love. It will bring salvation to the ends of the earth. Isaiah was not just talking to Nephi he was talking to everyone, even me.


No comments:

Post a Comment