Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 20:10, 18, 22

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 20:10, 18, 22
"For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.
O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments - then had thy peace been as a river, and they righteousness as the waves of the sea.
And not withstanding he hath done all this, and greater also, there is no peace saith the Lord, unto the wicked."

Nephi is quoting Isaiah 48, which is translated a little different than in the Holy Bible. The meaning is still there. 

As I found these three verses I could not help but ask myself, "How can I be in the furnace of affliction and have peace?"  The answer is given here, keep the commandments. I know the truth of this promise.

As I have tried so much harder to keep the commandments, to be worthy of the spirit as my constant companion, the peace in my life has increased. I have come to know that when I feel stress, panic, or become overwhelmed, that something is amiss in my life. I can take my grief, pain and sorrow and turn it over to the Lord and he will give me His peace instead. He not only carries by burdens but I allow him to do so sooner as time goes on. Why have pain when relief is found in the Lord.

The furnace of affliction will always be with us, no one is immune. Part of life is to be tried and tested. Yet, we can have the most beautiful peace, like a slow and constant river, to calm and comfort us. If we stand righteous, keep his commandments the waves can crash upon us, but we will only become stronger, and more faithful. We will be consistent in our devotion to the Lord. He will ever be with us, we will have his peace always. This I know because I've witnessed it in my life. May I always have that peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment