Thursday, October 8, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 15:6

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 15:6
"And it came to pass that after I had received strength I spake unto my brethren, desiring to know of them the cause of their disputations."

There was so much in this chapter that I felt impressed to write a summary of it. 

Nephi returns to the tent of his father - so he went off alone to inquire of the Lord. I asked myself "Do I seek to understand the things of the Lord alone or with others?" Nephi saw his brothers disputing over what their father had said. He doesn't speak to them yet. He goes away grieved, because of the hardness of their hearts, and the future destruction he saw of his people.

After he received his strength he speaks to his brothers, asking what they were disputing about. What they wanted to know was the meaning of the olive tree and the Gentiles. They were looking at things in the end times. Not of the greatest value for them today.

Nephi asks if they inquired of the Lord. The brothers reply they didn't, because he doesn't make things known to them. Nephi reminds them of the Lord's promise, if they ask in faith, believing you will receive, and with keeping his commandments, it will be made known to them.

He then explains the meaning of the olive tree and the gentiles in the last days. He opens up the scriptures to them so they will understand. The brothers are pacified and humbled themselves before the Lord. Then they go on to ask more questions - showing their focus has changed.

They ask the meaning of the tree their father saw - which is the tree of life. They ask the meaning of the iron rod - which is the word of God. The meaning of the river of water - it is the filthiness and gulf that separates the wicked from the righteous. The awful hell prepared for the wicked. They are also told its the justice of God dividing the wicked from the righteous. Which they then ask if he speaks of things temporal or spiritual - which it is both. Then Nephi shows them how it all fits together.

I see so many different patterns in this chapter for me. Nephi was humble and sought the Lord first to understand the vision of his father. He needed time alone to understand and have a testimony of what had been spoken. It reminded me of general conference we just had and how I need time to ponder the messages given. Nephi needed enough strength before he could even begin to deal with his brothers. So, sometimes its best to be silent before we try to help people that are disputing. 

I found it very interesting to see what the brothers were disputing over. It was the meaning of things in the end times. Wow, does that pattern continue today. They missed the gospel messages throughout the whole vision that had the most bearing on their lives today. It was only after Nephi explained to them the meaning of what they wanted to know, using the scriptures, that the spirit could have an effect on them. The disputing stopped. The brothers humbled themselves and asked some very insightful questions which all applied to their lives at that time.

I see how important it is to understand the scriptures first, just like Nephi did. As we have faith believing and keep his commandment we can inquire of the Lord and he will make things know to us. Then the scriptures will open up to us and we can teach to touch people's hearts.

As I thought about general conference during this chapter, I could not help but see something I got wrapped up in. I was so concerned about my prophet's failing health as he spoke I missed most of what he said. I see now that, that is the very first conference talk I need to read and ponder over.


No comments:

Post a Comment