Monday, October 12, 2015

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 19:20, 24

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Nephi 19:20, 24
"For behold, I have workings in the spirit, which doth weary me even that all my joints are weak, for those who are at Jerusalem; for had not the Lord been merciful, to show unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old, I should have perished also.
Where I spake unto them, saying: Hear ye the words of the prophet, ye who are a remnant of the house of Israel, a branch who have been broken off; hear ye the words of the prophet, which were written unto all the house of Israel, and liken them unto yourselves, that ye may have hope as well as your brethren from whom ye have been broken off; for after this manner has the prophet written."

I just wept this whole chapter. What a powerful testimony Nephi has. I can feel his spirit even though he is long since speaking from the dust. He was so full of the spirit as he wrote this section. I experienced physical weakness in myself from the power of the spirit, it was that strong. I know what he writes is true. 

Nephi is a scriptorian he lays out beautifully the prophesies from prophets before him. Some of those named are not even found in the Old Testament. How I wish I could read those writings too. 

I have learned from Nephi the importance of likening the scriptures unto myself. I always ask myself how does this apply to me today? What can I learn from their experiences? Are these same things happening today? Are there patterns being taught? I don't care if he lived over 2600 years ago it is just as applicable to me today as it was to them back then. Those that don't even believe in a God feel that history repeats itself. Well it does and the Lord has set that pattern that we may learn from it. With the spirit we can see what is coming, change our course and right ourselves with God. I love the scriptures. I am so grateful for Nephi that he obeyed the Lord and recorded this history it has blessed my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment