Thursday, October 18, 2018

Today's Favorite Verse: Isaiah 47:8, 13

Today's Favorite Verse: Isaiah 47:8, 13
"Therefore hear not this, thou that art given to pleasures, that dwellest carelessly, that sayest in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me; I shall not sit as a widow, neither shall I know the loss of children:
Thou are wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee."

I have many examples of where I have seen these false things being taught by misguided individuals. Satan will package them up and make them seem good, even quoting scriptures to make the person seem learned and wise. I appreciated President Dallin H. Oaks Oct 2018 General Conference Talk "Truth and the Plan". He even addressed priestcrafts and being cautious of who we get "truth" from.

I can see how important it is to have the spirit as my guide now more than ever. I will never forget the experience of attending an event that on the outside seemed like a great opportunity to hear some speakers on church related topics, though not sanctioned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In one lecture it was standing room only. I was trapped inside of a row and had no way out. Boy did I ever want out when I heard what this speaker was saying. My husband never saw me so agitated and upset. We were forced to sit and listen to a man that I considered teaching and selling a priestcraft. It made me so ill to watch people afterwards flock in droves to his booth to buy up his book. I never went back to any of this groups events after that. Sadly this man was not the only one I was concerned about. The event had become polluted.

I mentioned this experience to a good friend and she asked the name of the lecturer. I didn't want to say, because all I had was my opinion, though I didn't know him personally. What if I was wrong? What if he found the error of his way and had changed? But, her repeated requests to know gave me pause, and the spirit told me "Tell her!" When I said his name she gasped, he was in her ward. She told me I was right to feel concerned about him. He was being watched, and had been spoken to several times. They had been told to never leave him alone with the youth. He was teaching false doctrine. I was in awe of the chance of actually saying his name to someone that could confirm as a witness what the spirit had already told me.

This happened about three years ago. My friend has since told me this man was excommunicated a few months ago for priestcraft. There was serious enough damage being done that the stake president had to tell them this specifically over the pulpit at stake conference. Warning those that were following him that this is where these false teachings lead. My oh my, it is both terrible and great things the spirit can tell us. I am grateful for the warning, but I am sorry for what I have seen. I'm sorry for those that are deceived and lead away into crooked paths. For but by the grace of God it could have been me.

Milky Way Stars over Pine Valley, Utah
Photography by Joseph Cowdell

Day 1300



No comments:

Post a Comment