Saturday, December 31, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 19:12, 21, 23

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 19:12, 21, 23
"And thou shalt set bound unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:
And the Lord said unto Moses, Go down, charge the people, lest they break through unto the Lord to gaze, and many of them perish.
And Moses said unto the Lord, The people cannot come up to mount Sinai: for thou chargedst us, saying, Set bounds about the mount, and sanctify it."

I try to likely the scriptures to my day, so as I read this chapter of the Lord coming to mount Sinai I pondered on how this is today. I know mountains are a reference to the temples. What are the bounds I am not to touch? I though of the quiet little temple recommend desk that none can pass in the temple without being worthy. That is the bounds set today. Maybe people don't physically die today if they go unworthy, but they most certainly will spiritually die.

Where Moses stood was the Holy of Holies. I have often wondered what the Holy of Holies looks like in the temple. I would love to just peek inside the door. I guess as this verse says I have wanted to gaze. I know where it is in the Salt Lake Temple. I have sat and looked on those doors and wondered, but I cannot even bring myself to go close and touch the door. After reading this I think that is a very wise thing for me not to do.

There is a photograph of the Holy of Holies taken in the early 1900's and released by the church in the book "The House of the Lord" by Elder James E. Talmage. It was in response to a blackmail attempt made against the church when someone snuck in during renovations and took photographs. The church in response took their own photos and released them. Now there are open houses and photographs taken prior to temple dedication so all that wish to know can see. 

The Holy of Holies in the Salt Lake Temple

Boyd K. Packer, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, has stated that "hidden away in the central part of the temple is the Holy of Holies, where the President of the Church may retire when burdened down with heavy decisions to seek an interview with Him whose Church it is. The prophet holds the keys, the spiritual keys and the very literal key to this one door in that sacred edifice."

Just like in the Salt Lake Temple every temple around the world has a Holy of Holies. It would not be the Lord's house without one. The locations and size vary, but I know they are there. After pondering on these things I am not so curious to go see them. I am totally filled to know they are there. 


Day 644

No comments:

Post a Comment