Friday, December 23, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 11:1, 5, 7

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 11:1, 5, 7
"And the Lord said unto Moses, Yet will I bring one plague more upon Pharaoh, and upon Egypt; afterwards he will let you go hence: when he shall let you go, he shall surely thrust you out hence altogether.
And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts. 
But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the Lord doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel."

As I have been reading the stories of Moses I have wondered over how long of a period of time did this all take place? In prior readings I've thought everything came in rapid succession. Now I feel there was more space between these events. There was time for Pharaoh's heart to be softened and hardened. He was given time to keep his promise or not.

When I read the part "shall not a dog move his tongue" I thought of the "prophecy" three different people have oddly mentioned to me recently. That there will be immense destruction in Missouri preceding the Second Coming, so extensive that "not a yellow dog will be left to wag his tail". Each person thought it was an event to still come. I thought it had taken place during the Civil War. Tonight these thoughts made me stop and pickup an internet chase to find my references. I went all around in circles. Found some good stuff, and some contradictory things. Found a lot of things that simply wasted good scripture study time. 

The conclusion I came to is, I have no answer on a yellow dog prophecy. Nor to be honest do I really care to guess. My search made me lose all interest in finding an answer on that. What I do know is clarification only comes through a living prophet. The Lord always gave Moses the specifics of what plagues were coming, and how best to prepare for and survive them. Being obedient to a living prophet brings blessings. I believe there was time between the events to prepare the people for what was to come. In this chapter Moses is given what was to be the last plague they must endure. I could see a pattern in the plague with all the firstborn dying. It was a similitude of God's own first born son dying for our sins. Some will completely pass His gift of the atonement by and suffer as he did.

The protection that separated the Egyptians and Israel was clear for all to see. I think there is a pattern to how God speaks to his people. If I treasure up His words I will be prepared to recognize a prophet's warning voice and not be deceived.   


Day 636

No comments:

Post a Comment