Saturday, December 10, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 48:14, 18-19

Today's Favorite Verse: Genesis 48:14, 18-19
"And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn.
And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head.
And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations."

Jacob is in his old in age blind. He tells Joseph that he is adopting his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim. Then he wishes to bless them. Joseph guided his sons according to the birthright under Jacob's hands. Manasseh the eldest was under the right hand and Ephraim the youngest under the left. Then Israel crosses his arms and places the birthright blessing on Ephraim's head. When the attempt was made to correct this, Jacob said he knew it. He knew what he was doing.

I sat and pondered on what difference did it really make who received the blessing? The individual sons would be long gone before all would be fulfilled. Couldn't God just as easily have given that blessing to one or the other? Then I saw how unique we all are in the sight of God. That God knows us and we will come through the lineage he has determined is the best place for us. My patriarchal blessing tells me I am of the tribe of Ephraim. There was a purpose for why I am, where I am. That is totally humbling. 


Day 623

No comments:

Post a Comment