Saturday, December 24, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 12:3, 6-7, 13

Today's Favorite Verse: Exodus 12:3, 6-7, 13
"Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it. 
And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

As I read this I pondered on the exactness of what the Israelites were told to do. Every step of preparation was covered. What day to take the lamb, when to kill it, how to do it, how to mark the door posts with the blood. When to be in their homes, who to eat with, what to wear, how to prepare their food, what to do with the left overs. Everything is there to be followed with exactness. This was to physically preserve their lives. The angel of death would recognize them and pass them by. 

At first looking at this I couldn't help but think how nutty that would have sounded to anyone that didn't believe Moses was a prophet. How can blood across my door post keep me alive? That does sound rather absurd. All the exact things needing to be done sound very controlling and a waste of time. 

Then I thought of my home and all I have been counseled and commanded to do by the prophets. Family and personal scripture reading and prayer, family home evening, keeping the Sabbath day holy. Standing in holy places and making my home one such place. I thought about the signs and tokens I have, the shield and protection over me. They are here when I am here. I thought about the blessings of the word of wisdom and the promise to have the destroying angel pass me by. 

To the outside world they may all sound incredibly foolish. I would be honored to be found such a fool, if a destroying angel ever has to pass me by. Right now the spiritual blessings living such a life is the greatest gift I have been given. If I remain faithful spiritual death will pass me by. Doing as the prophet counsels is just as important now as it was in the time of Moses. 


Day 637


No comments:

Post a Comment