Monday, September 26, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 129:1-2, 4

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 129:1-2, 4
"There are two kinds of being in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones - 
Secondly: the spirits of just men made perfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.
When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you."

I think this is such an important chapter. It explains how to detect between heavenly messengers, and the devil as an angel of light.  I think this information is vital for the world. How much misery could have been avoided through the ages, if people would have known to test any being that appeared to them, saying they have a message from God. 

"These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God."
1. An angel is a resurrected personage with a body of flesh and bones. If you ask to shake hands with them, they will do so. You will feel that they are of flesh and bones.
2. A spirit is a just men made perfect but not resurrected. They are only spirit and do not have a body of flesh and bones. If you ask to shake hands with them they will not move, but will deliver their message. That is because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive. 
3. The devil as an angel of light, has no body. If you ask to shake hands he will offer to shake hands and you will feel nothing. That is the way to know you are being deceived.

I think it rather creepy the thought of feeling nothing. It would make me feel scared and afraid. But, when I think upon it, fear only comes from Satan. That would be all he would be capable of doing to me, if I let him. God would never leave me alone in Satan's presence, if I plead in the name of Christ to rescue me. Satan would have to depart. I do think with this knowledge the experience would be so brief that the fear would never enter, because of my faith in Christ. The thought of this gives me comfort and peace.

I have often thought of how in the Book of Mormon angels appeared to men, prior to Christ's birth and death. I cannot help but think we will see the same thing prior to his second coming. I am told that even the very elect could be deceived. I would think there has to be a reason why we were given these instructions for our day.  I believe the knowledge of how to test any being, saying they are a messenger from God, is going to be vital for us. 


Day 548

No comments:

Post a Comment