Thursday, September 15, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 118:1, 6

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 118:1, 6
"Verily, thus saith the Lord: Let a conference be held immediately; let the Twelve be organized; and let men be appointed to supply the place of those who are fallen.
Let my servant John Taylor, and also my servant John E. Page, and also my servant Wilford Woodruff, and also my servant Willard Richards, be appointed to fill the places of those who have fallen, and be officially notified of the appointment."

The mention of apostles that had fallen intrigued me. I had to find a list of the apostles and the times they received their calls. I saw quite a number of them that were excommunicated for apostasy in the early days of the church. Interestingly, never was it a majority of them in a state of apostasy at once. That would be in keeping with the promise that the majority of the twelve would never lead us astray. Some of those that apostatized did repent and came back, but their line in seniority was changed. I wondered how an apostle could apostatize? Then I thought of the Savior's apostle Judas that betrayed him. As I was ready to sit in judgement of their apostasy I felt so ashamed. I cannot know their hearts. I cannot know what hardships they endured or the trials that they faced. I cannot know what their apostasy meant to those that remained. Two future prophets, John Taylor and Wilford Woodruff, moved up in their seniority as others were removed. All of this had a purpose and a plan. Judgement is left to the Lord. 




Day 537

No comments:

Post a Comment