Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 110:7

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 110:7
"For behold, I have accepted this house, and my name shall be here; and I will manifest myself to my people in mercy in this house."

On June 7, 2015 the Payson Temple was dedicated. Two days later on June 9, 2015 it opened for the performing of ordinances. I went to the second endowment session held there that day. I didn't realize there was a special session right before mine. While in that session a feeling swept over me and I knew my Savior Jesus Christ was in His House. That all His ordinances were taking place and he accepted the operation of His temple. I knew His spirit emanated from a particular point inside the temple. If I could have followed that spiritual impression, I knew I could have walked the halls until I found the door he was standing behind. The only thing that kept me from doing that very thing was honor. I was in His House, doing redeeming work for the dead, and I would not leave in the middle of it. For he was accepting the operation of the very thing I was doing. I didn't need to see Him, I already knew he was there. It was witness enough.

Afterwards I marveled at the experience. I had assumed the Lord would have come to accept his temple at the dedication of it. I wondered was there doctrine of his coming to the temple shortly after its dedication, to accept the operation of it? My heart reasoned, that to accept it he needed to witness the running of it, in a manner pleasing to him. There had been quiet confusion the whole time I was there that day. The temple workers were new and didn't know little details, like assigning lockers, directing seating, or where to put temple cards. The ordinance I went through prior to the endowment session was done by a new temple worker. She needed to say the few words exactly and it was nearly an impossible task for her. She had a sister by her side helping with her training. Literally she attempted to say those words 20 times. Each time making a single mistake, only to start over again. The more it happened the greater the spirit grew in our little room. She was trying with all her heart to do it right. We could wait. It was an amazing experience I cherish to this day. 

I knew from my experience the Lord did not expect perfection on our first tries. He accepted our hearts willing to be perfect and trying until it was right. Yes, I could understand why He found acceptable what these inexperienced temple workers and new patrons were doing. The ordinances were correct in the end, their hearts were pure. All they wanted to do was act in a manner pleasing to him.

As I pondered over where to find the doctrine of the Lord coming to accept the operation of His temple, this verse was it. The Kirtland Temple was dedicated on March 27, 1836, and he came to accept it days later on April 3, 1836.


Day 529

No comments:

Post a Comment