Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 124:31 & 33

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 124:31 & 33
"But I command you, all ye my saints, to build a house unto me; and I grant unto you a sufficient time to build a house unto me; and during this time your baptisms shall be acceptable unto me,
For verily I say unto you, that after you have had sufficient time to build a house to me, wherein the ordinance of baptizing for the dead belongeth, and for which the same was instituted from before the foundation of the world, your baptisms for your dead cannot be acceptable unto me;"

When the ordinance of baptism for the dead was restored, the saints standing as proxy for their deceased family members, were baptized in the Mississippi River. This was only allowed in their poverty. They were to build another temple, in which would be a baptismal font for the performing of this ordinance and others. What I pondered on was how they were told they would have sufficient time to do this. Little did they know how literal that was. The Prophet Joseph Smith was murdered before the Nauvoo Temple was completed. The saints continued their labor to complete the temple. They needed all the saving ordinances prior to being driven west by the mobs. The Nauvoo temple ran around the clock performing these saving ordinances as the saints began to leave. 

I went through many thoughts. I have a project I am working on that I feel no panic over. I know I will have sufficient time to get it done, if I am diligent at working at it. I feel no concern that I need to run faster than I am able. In fact as I was reflecting on this the thought came, that if I ever did need to pick up the pace, I'm sure the Lord would tell me. Now I see that is exactly what he did to the saints before they needed to complete what was asked of them. I cannot know the future. I cannot think my project of the same sense of urgency. What I can know is when the Lord says you have sufficient time he means it.  If I ever need to pick up the pace I'm sure he will make me strong enough to do so. 


Day 543

1 comment:

  1. The due date for completion of the Nauvoo Temple was 3 Oct 1841

    I have thoughts on this if you're interested: rhinehart.clinton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete