Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Today's Favorite Verse: D&C 109:7

Today's Favorite Verse: Doctrine & Covenants 109:7
"And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith;"

So hard to pick a favorite verse. This is the dedicatory prayer on the Kirtland Temple. So much to ponder and think about. I found so many things that pertain to our worship there that I cannot begin to discuss. 

I did settle on this verse because as I read it I pictured myself in the celestial room coming out of an endowment session. The first thing I do is look to see if one of my four favorite places to sit is available and then go there. Next to each is a table with a set of scriptures. I love to read my scriptures right after coming out of an endowment session. Sitting in the peace and beauty of the room. With the first rays of the morning sun coming in just fills my soul. There is no better place to read and ponder the scriptures than right there. Usually I read my chapter for the day. Occasionally I will read more about what I learned or wondered about during the endowment session. After I am done most people have left the celestial room and I pretty much have it to myself. That is when I sit in quiet prayer. My soul is feed and now I am ready to face the world. 

This verse I picked I usually hear it used in context to reading good books. I have even been given titles for some of the best ones. Yes, they are great but I realized for the first time the best books the Lord is meaning are His. Repeatedly, I am told in His house to read His scriptures. Then as I sit in the celestial room the only ones there are His books, contained in the scriptures. I know there are other great books, but really the one best of all is the scriptures. As I ponder on this I could see that each set of scriptures are made up of different books. I counted all of them making up the standard works and there are 85 different books. I have a choice between 85 different books inside the scriptures to learn more about my Savior, and the wisdom and light he wishes to give me. That is a lot of great books to chose from.

Day 528

No comments:

Post a Comment