Friday, September 20, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Romans 16:17-18

Today's Favorite Verse: Romans 16:17-18
"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned, and avoid them.
For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple."

I turned to the footnotes to learn more.
Mark = watch, beware of.
Division = Acts 20:20
"Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Offenses = stumbling blocks, scandals
Doctrine = 3 Nephi 11:40
"And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.
Avoid = 1 Corinthians 5:11
"But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."
Fair = 2 Peter 2:3
"And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not."
Simple = innocent, guileless

It made me think of RUN, whenever I see someone that confesses the Lord on one hand with the other stretched opened for money. They so convincingly sell to the gullible and innocent a wrested version of the scriptures with their personal doctrine added to it. It's priestcraft and it troubles my soul. I've noticed a pattern recently of how a lack of self-esteem appears within its midst. As I pondered on why it was and now to prevent it, I realized the answer was to do as the prophets have told us. Read your scriptures, study and ponder them in your heart daily. It will prevent deception. Why is that? The prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. said it best. 

“If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves.”
(History of the Church, 6:303)



Day 1635

No comments:

Post a Comment