Friday, September 27, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 7:1, 7

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 7:1, 7
"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that."

The chapter header says: "Paul answers special questions about marriage among those called on missions - Paul praises self-discipline."

I had notes placed in this chapter but I cannot recall the source of them.

"While sexual immorality was common in ancient Corinth, some people there held the opposite belief - that it was "good for a man not to touch a woman," and therefore one should refrain from all sexual relations, even in marriage."

"Paul's words of counsel - "I would that all men were even as I myself" and "It is good for them if they abide even as I" (1 Corinthians 7:7-8) - have led some to mistakenly believe that Paul was unmarried and promoted the celibate lifestyle as being superior to marriage. However, Paul probably was married or had been at some point. Most scholars acknowledge that Paul was either a member of the Jewish ruling body - the Sanhedrin - or a close associate of the group (see Acts 8:3; 9:1-2; 22:5; 26:10). To comply with the Sanhedrin's membership requirements, Paul would have had to be married. Even if Paul was simply a representative of the Sanhedrin, he would have been expected to be in harmony with all accepted Jewish customs and therefore be married. In addition, Paul clearly taught the importance of marriage and family life (see 1 Corinthians 7:2; 11:11; Ephesians 5:21-6:4; 1 Timothy 3:2)"



Day 1642

No comments:

Post a Comment