Thursday, September 19, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Romans 15:4

Today's Favorite Verse: Romans 15:4
"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

This verse made me reflect on my journey of reading the scriptures. How I needed to be patient with myself as I learned to listen to the spirit and be taught. For without the spirit it was very hard to read the scriptures and understand. Symbolism was the hardest part of the scriptures for me. I just didn't understand what it meant. Now I have come to enjoy the layers found in them. I had to learn to be patient in receiving knowledge. What a blessing to have the spirit teach me to just pick one verse and ponder on it. I don't need to understand everything I read, just one little piece would fill my soul. Reading the scriptures is a lifetime pursuit and I will be back around another time. Then something else will stand out to me. Yes, through patience in learning now the scriptures bring me comfort and hope, I can have the worst trial and be out of sorts. Yet if I turn to the scriptures it will comfort and calm me and bring good things back into focus. I cannot go a day now without reading and pondering the scriptures for now it is the highlight of my day. It is how I know I have heard His voice and know His words.

"The Spirit speaking peace to one’s mind is not the only form in which a witness comes, but inasmuch as it is from God, there is none greater. Just as by feasting on the words of Christ in the scriptures we “can testify that [we] have heard [His] voice, and know [His] words” (D&C 18:36), we can testify from confirming spiritual feelings from God that we know His Son and that He lives."
(D. Todd Christofferson, "Becoming a Witness of Christ", Ensign, Mar. 2008)



Day 1634

No comments:

Post a Comment