Saturday, September 28, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 8:4, 8-9

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 8:4, 8-9
"As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak."

I had another great note on these verses that I had added to my scriptures.

"In Paul’s day, some of the meat sold in the markets of Corinth and other cities had been butchered as offerings or dedications to pagan deities. Faithful Jews would have felt that the law of Moses prohibited them from partaking of this meat; however, from Paul’s words it appears that some Christians did not feel restricted from eating it (see 1 Corinthians 8:1–13; 10:14, 19–33).

Elder Bruce R. McConkie (1915–85) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles discussed Paul’s response to this issue: “The Corinthians had asked Paul for counsel about eating meat sacrificed by pagan people to their idols. He replies that in theory it is completely immaterial whether the saints eat such meat or not, because idols are not true gods, and there is actually no religious significance to the pseudo-sacrifices one way or the other. But, he reasons, in practice it may be wise not to eat this meat, since such a course might cause those who are weak in the faith to assume there was virtue and benefit in the sacrifices themselves and therefore to be led astray” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [1966–73], 2:348). For Paul, the greater concern was to avoid doing anything that might weaken the faith of others, unintentionally leading them into sin."
(New Testament Student Manual, Chapter 38, 1 Corinthian 1-11)

It also reminds of this scripture.

"Abstain from all appearance of evil"
(1 Thessalonians 5:22)

I am reminded of a time I naively lent my car to an acquaintance and unknown to me they took it to bar. Then they called me to say my car wouldn't start. It was a temperamental car to start, especially in the cold. I thought I could easily ride the bus over and retrieve it. When I got to the bar the person had bailed on me. I went inside to inquire about my keys and thankfully they were there. Soon I discovered my car really wouldn't start. I was now stranded in the freezing cold at this bar. I wanted to cry. I was a good latter-day saint that didn't drink and here I was at a bar. I felt so humiliated, first at lending a car to an acquaintance, and next sitting in a bar. I needed help because I couldn't get out of this predicament by myself. I called my father for advice and then he told me to call my home teachers, which I did. These dear brothers came and helped rescue me. I was met with kindness all the way both by those at the bar and those that rescued me. But inside all I could think of was to not even give the near appearance of evil.

Outside the bar sat a very recognizable copper colored Gremlin. Anyone that knew me would have recognized my car. I did worry about my reputation. But, also I was sick inside with worry, that I could risk being someone's stumbling block for being seen there. I remember sitting there and getting thirsty. I wondered what do you drink at a bar that doesn't look like you're drinking? I was so pleased when the bar tender said he did have milk. I don't know if you put alcohol in milk but in my mind that seemed the least likely to give that message. Though sipping milk inside a bar would do me no harm, it was still the appearance of where I was at that was my concern. I do understand Paul's advice, eating the meat of idols has no effect, but becoming a stumbling block for others that are weak is what you protect.

A Roman marble relief depicting the preparation 
of an animal sacrifice; early second century.

Day 1643



No comments:

Post a Comment