Saturday, September 21, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 1:2

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 1:2
"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:"

This made me ponder on the name of the church, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".  I am a saint, though to say that seems so unreachable. So I pondered on what it means.

First I looked at "sanctified", because to me that also seems so unreachable. I am not pure and holy, though I wish and hope one day to be. So what does that mean? I looked in the footnote and the other topic guide sections referenced. They are also: Consecrate; Consecration; Earth, Destiny of; Hallow; Holiness; Holy Ghost, Baptism of; Jesus Christ, Atonement through; Justification; Man, New, Spiritually Reborn; Purification; Righteousness; Sacred; Separation. I asked myself which of these would describe me? I can see glimmers of some. I realized in doing so that I was at the beginning. Sanctified is a process and one just doesn't jump into it as a whole. So I felt good that I was able to say I'm in the process of becoming sanctified. I think that is what I am suppose to be doing.

So now I looked at "Saint". In the topical guide it says see also: Church Organization; Holy; Sheep.  Yes, I am part of Christ's church organized on the earth today. I am part of the fold and a sheep. I am a Saint in these the latter-days. I read the verses in the topical guide under Saint and it really struck me how many times it is used to name the members of Christ's church. One thought I had is how interesting it is the most religions that are followers of Christ refer to themselves as "Christians", myself included. But, I am told by them because I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that they do not consider me a Christian. (Yes, that totally confuses me given the name of the church.) 

I became curious when the name of Christ's followers as Christians was given. It is found in both the New Testament and Book of Mormon. It wasn't until I read these verses in the Book of Mormon that I realized something. 

"For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church.
And those who did belong to the church were faithful; yea, all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ, or Christians as they were called, because of their belief in Christ who should come."
(Alma 46:14-15)

"And thus he was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians."
(Alma 48:10)

The name Christian was given to the followers of Christ by their enemies. Curiously very similar to how Latter-day Saints were given the nickname "Mormons" as a derogatory, and disrespectful name by those not of the faith. It appears in both cases these nicknames were later adopted by Christ's followers, including used as a reference by apostles. In the case of the nickname "Mormon" the prophet, Russell M. Nelson, has emphasized that we need to stop using that name. We need to refer to the full name of the church and that we are latter-day saints. I realize now that to refer to myself as a Christian would be taking the name Christ's enemies gave to his followers. So interesting the name Christian is once again being used in very derogatory ways by society. 

I then went back and looked for the name "Saint" and that is the name Christ gave his followers. I turned to the Doctrine and Covenants.

"... the Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through His chosen prophets for the restoration of His holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days. In the revelations, one hears the tender but firm voice of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking anew in the dispensation of the fulness of times; and the work that is initiated herein is preparatory to His Second Coming, in fulfillment of and in concert with the words of all the holy prophets since the world began." 

Never, once does the Lord, Jesus Christ refer to his followers as Christians. We are His saints. If I take upon me the name of Christ then I should refer to myself as a the name he gave his followers, saint. Latter-day Saints is now used, not only because Christ gave us that name, but it shows which dispensation I am in. So as I am pondering this I realize it's totally ok for other Christians to not refer to me as a Christian. Because that is not the name Christ wanted to be used by his followers. I am a latter-day saint, a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of His Restored Church. There is a lot of power in that name.


Day 1636

No comments:

Post a Comment