Sunday, September 29, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 9:14

Today's Favorite Verse: 1 Corinthians 9:14
"Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel."

Seems like such an obvious statement but it's good to be reminded. Much damage can be done when those in leadership positions, teachers, etc. don't live up to what they preach. How many people have fallen away because of the pedestal they put another on has fallen out from underneath them.

"Suffer not yourself to be led away by any vain or foolish thing; suffer not the devil to lead away your heart again after those wicked harlots. Behold, O my son, how great iniquity ye brought upon the Zoramites; for when they saw your conduct they would not believe in my words."
(Alma 39:11)

I remember as a teenager traveling with my father when our chapel was not yet built. He was a bishop and would take me along when he had to visit sisters alone in their homes. I would sit in another room as they would discuss privately whatever their heartbreak was. On one such call I found myself at the home of a beloved teacher that I had wondered where she had gone. I tried so hard to not listen to my father's conversation with her. But there was no closed door between us, so I still heard the words that broke my heart. She had been unfaithful and no longer believed what she had once taught me as truths. I will remember that ride home from her house forever, for my father's words stuck deep inside my heart. He didn't speak of what this sister had done. He did however remind me of keeping whatever I had heard confidential. I was to speak of it to no one. Then he spoke of the power of repentance and forgiveness. People can change. He also spoke of the need to have my own testimony so mine was never shaken by what others might do.

The amazing thing from that experience is that I do not recall who that sister was. I knew I used to know her and love her. My heart was broken by what she had done. However, I have no idea if she later came back to church and was fully active or not. It is the beauty of repentance and forgiveness, sin can be remembered no more.



Day 1644

No comments:

Post a Comment