Saturday, June 15, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 8:16-17

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 8:16-17
"And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread.
And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?"

This reminded me of my favorite verse the other day, Mark 6:52. Where I pondered about pondering. I felt the apostles hearts were hardened because they did not ponder the miracle of the loaves. Here they are now told to ponder that miracle again, and because they didn't earlier they could not understand Jesus' other sayings.

This shows the importance of pondering and keeping up with what the Savior is doing. Could it not be a greater message to me today, when I know the restoration of gospel is not entirely complete. There is more to come. Just like Jesus was trying to prepare his disciples. 

So, the apostles were reasoning among themselves on what Jesus meant by beware of the leaven, not sure they caught the part of the Pharisees and Herod. (Which I think implies those with false doctrine and political leaders.) The apostles were still wondering if Jesus was upset that they had forgotten to take bread with them into the ship. So, I sat and pondered on how the apostle's reasoning may have went and there was a lot, but the point in the scripture was not to do what they were doing. For their hearts were hardened and that's not what I want to do.

So, what were the apostles missing that caused them not to understand what Jesus meant? What I came up with for now, is the importance of pondering multiple experiences and stories together. Not one isolated part. Don't I use the footnotes in the scriptures all the time? I learn so much when I read them and ponder these added verses with scriptures. I can also be reading and be reminded of other scripture stories and quotes from general conference talks. I have to look at things in one great whole, how the pieces fit together. Like a giant puzzle. I could look at an individual puzzle piece and never understand where it goes until I see how it fits with what I have already put together. I need to work on it piece by piece, adding to what I have already put together until one day that puzzle will be complete.

This must be why Jesus said "Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?" (Mark 8:18)

I have to take what I see and hear, and put it together with what is being brought to my remembrance, from what I learned before. Then my eyes will be opened to greater things.



Day 1540

No comments:

Post a Comment