Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 12:32, 34

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 12:32, 34
"And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any questions."

This encounter makes me reflect on the different kind of event that happened at our house yesterday. Two men came to our door proselytizing. There was an older man training a younger man. My husband answered the door and had a polite conversation with them. I sat at the computer working but could hear everything, even though they did not know I was there. My husband did well explaining our faith when they asked what he believed. Then an interesting thing happened. This older man's attitude changed. It was like I could feel him came in for the kill. Odd thing to say about another Christian. The spirit immediately left and the man started to contend. I could feel the moment the spirit left our home. That I will not have. If you remove the spirit from being in my home you leave.

I'm sitting in a wheelchair so it's not easy to get up and go to the door. But I had to end this, as I was getting up from my chair I had one goal in mind. I would say, "What is the point here? We both believe in God, but have different views. We just need to end this discussion." I would have wished them a nice day as I closed the door and ended it. Funny how when I finally got to the door I said something totally different. I said very firmly "This has to end now, have a nice day." and then I pulled the door between the two men shut and was done with it. It was curious that the first impression I had was to ask a question. When I got there the spirit shut my mouth from asking it. I hadn't wanted to be so firm. Then I realized to ask a question would have just opened it up for him to contend more. There was no point I won't have contention in my home that makes the spirit flee. My husband told me afterwards he was glad I had done it, because he had been trying to figure out how to end the conversation when it turned like that.

So, I wonder what that has to do with this verse? I'm really not sure. I would certainly think these men are not coming back to ask me any questions. I truly did not feel any desire to discuss things with them, particularly since they made the spirit flee. So I guess the question is why did the scribes dare not to ask the Savior any more questions? Well I think its because they didn't want to know the answer. OK, now I get it. I told my husband that one of the reasons I knew I had to stop the men at the door was because I did not want to hear anything from their mouths that would cast doubt, especially since they had already made the spirit flee. Any words they felt they needed to share by contenting would not be inspired by God. 



Day 1544

No comments:

Post a Comment