Thursday, June 13, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 6:52

Today's Favorite Verse: Mark 6:52
"For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their heart was hardened."

Considered not = did not understand

What this verse is saying is the apostles consider not about the miracles that were happening. They didn't understand them because their hearts were hardened. It is pondering and considering the scriptures then that softens the heart so we can understand.

So what makes me understand or consider the gospel and the scriptures?  It is to ponder on them. It is an active participation by myself with myself, led by the spirit through a question and answer session. The favorite verse for me each day is the one that made me pause, because the spirit promoted me with a question. Since getting rid of the books about the scriptures, and just reading the scriptures, the spirit has taught me the scriptures by pondering on them. It's not just the scriptures it's any event that the spirit guides me to reflect upon. For the apostles it would have been pondering on the miracle of the loaves and the fishes.

I was just reading 3 Nephi 17:3 and was so struck by the Savior's request that they return home and ponder.

"Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again."

President Marion G. Romney said "As I have read the scriptures, I have been challenged by the word ponder, so frequently used in the Book of Mormon. The dictionary says that ponder means 'to weigh mentally, think deeply about, deliberate, meditate'… pondering is, in my feeling, a form of prayer. It has, at least, been an approach to the Spirit of the Lord on many occasions.

I love this, ponder being a form of prayer. It made me think about taking the sacrament. Where I can intently focus on my Savior, ponder and pray. They all go so hand in hand.

This week in my Pathway's Book of Mormon class my professor Brother A. made an interesting comment on pondering. I've reflected on it a lot since then.

"Several years ago, I had five children at home, small children. Our house was not quiet. It was not a place of "pondering". In fact it was kind a nuts and psychotic sometimes now that I think back on it. Why does he send you home then knowing that that will be the environment for many families? And the answer is, that is exactly what he wants. Pondering isn't just this quiet solitude. Pondering is also the ability to talk and to discuss and to think collectively about something. This is best done in a family unit. Family's that talk about the gospel, visit about it at dinner table and family home evening, and scripture study, and various points during the day, talk about the relevance of doctrine, application of it, and gospel living and things. There is a power and a majesty that comes with that and it's glorious. What it does is helps parents and children be better acquires of spiritual knowledge. I love the principle of the home and family unit connected to learning spiritual things."

That is exactly what I have experienced. One of my favorite times of the day is family scriptures study, we have such awesome discussions. We don't have to know what everything meant in the chapter. We just pick what stood out to us. And it is always from what stood out to someone that leads to a great gospel centered discussion. I love thinking now that the Come, Follow Me - gospel centered learning we are now doing is pondering the scriptures. As Christ invited us to "prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again."



Day 1538

No comments:

Post a Comment