Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Today's Favorite Verse: Luke 3:16

Today's Favorite Verse: Luke 3:16
"John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose sons I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:"

What struck me was how humble John is, he knows his mission, his role, and the authority that he has. He could baptize for the remission of sins but not bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost. For that comes by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood and John the Baptist only had the Aaronic Priesthood. Jesus Christ gave that authority to his apostles. In Acts 8:14-17 I find Peter and John using that authority. It was also Peter, James, and John that came to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to restore the Melchizedek priesthood, which included the authority to give the gift of the Holy Ghost. John the Baptist having coming earlier to restore the Aaronic Priesthood and baptism for the remission of sin. All these keys had to be restored by one that had authority. I am so grateful that I live at such a time. Having been both baptized and confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is such a precious gift for me. I am grateful that my deceased ancestors that had not this opportunity can be given it vicariously through proxy baptism and confirmation for the gift of the Holy Ghost in the temples of our Lord, if they so choose to accept it. 



Day 1551


No comments:

Post a Comment